Sunday, February 16, 2014

Classic Mystery Complete!

I have completed my first book for the Back to the Classics Challenge.  Yay!  Agatha Christie's The Mysterious Affair at Styles was my choice to fulfill the Classic Mystery, Suspense, or Thriller category.  I must admit, for a book written on a bet with her sister, Agatha Christie did an amazing job.  
Here's a quick summary:  The story is set during World War I in England.  Captain Hastings, our narrator, was injured in the war and has been invited to recover at his friend's home Styles.   During his stay, Emily Inglethorpe is fatally poisoned with strychnine.  To help solve the mystery, Hastings enlists the help of of his old friend a Belgian detective, Hercule Poirot.

I really enjoyed this book.  It was a quick read, that provided lots of twists and turns and red herrings.  The edition I read had the original chapter 12 reveal written by Christie included at the end of the book.  I must admit, I like the published version over the original.  The best compliment I can give is that I am looking forward to reading more Poirot mysteries!  

No comments:

Post a Comment